Versatile Salad Dressing Recipe- Never Buy Store Bought Again!
So dang easy...
I think you should spend your money on yummy vinegars and oils to make your own creative salad dressings, and not on crappy bottled salad dressing.
This is so base recipe is so easy, I have actually made salad dressing at 5am before work before, maybe that's a little crazy and all, but it IS easy. It takes about 5 minutes to pull together something yummy.
(Raspberry Orange Poppyseed Dressing)
Here's a couple of points about making your own salad dressings
* Keeps beautifully in the fridge
* Use on green tossed salads, chopped salads, fruit salads
* Makes an easy and delicious marinade for steaks, chicken and fish
* No yucky preservatives
* Economical, I bet it costs under $1
* Control the amount of sugar in your dressing... or leave it out altogether
Here's the idea for your own dressing,
1) combine an acid (vinegar, citrus juice, fruit juice etc)
2) with an emulsifier (Dijon mustard or dry mustard)
3) some seasoning (fresh herbs, garlic, honey etc)
4) Blend up.
5) With the blender going, pour in some oil in a steady stream through the hole in the lid of your blender.
6) Adjust your seasoning and serve. Easy.
Here's a shot of everything before you blend and dribble in the oil with the blender running.
A couple of notes on oil,
* I don't usually use all olive oil in my recipe because it has a strong taste, but it is really up to you. What do you like? Use it! I usually mix my oils to get a taste that fits my mood.
* If you use 3/4 cup of oil, you usually get a thicker dressing, use a cup of oil = thinner.
* I also have used 3/4 oil, and added in a 1/4 of water slowly to reduce the amount of fat in your dressing.
Think of these recipes as guidelines.... you are supposed to make it what you like!!!Here's the base recipe for Lemon Dijon Dressing:1/4 cup Lemon juice1 tsp Dijon mustard2 garlic cloves (optional)1-2 Tbsp parsley, chopped (optional)Salt and pepper3/4 cup vegetable oil
Mexican Cumin & Cilantro Dressing1/4 cup lime juice1 tsp dry mustard2 garlic cloves1/4 cup cilantro, chopped1/2 jalapeno, choppedsalt & pepper3/4-1 cup of oil
Orange, Raspberry Poppyseed Dressing1-2 Tbsp orange juice2 Tbsp raspberry vinegar
1 tsp dry mustard, dijon
salt to taste
3/4-1 cup of oil
2 tsp poppyseeds
Asian Sesame Dressing1/4 cup rice wine vinegar2 tsp sesame oil1 tsp dry mustard powder salt and pepper 3/4-1 cup of oil
Balsamic Dijon Dressing 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar2 tsp Dijon Mustard
3/4-1 cup of oil
Salt & fresh ground pepper
Greek Feta Dressing1/4 cup lemon juice1 tsp dried oregano1 Tbsp parsley, chopped1 tsp Dijon Mustard 3/4-1 cup of oil
1/4 cup crumbled feta, added after blended, OR before if you like
Acids, pick ONE (or combine some...):
Lime juiceRice Wine vinegarred wine vinegarcider vinegarbalsamic vinegarRaspberry Vinegar
Oils, pick ONE or two...:Canola OilOlive OilTruffle Oil (1-2 tsp for flavoring) Peanut OilSesame Oil (1-2 tsp for flavoring)
Flavorings, pick what you like:
GarlicSaltPepper Herbs (cilantro, parsley, basil, chives, mint, oregano)Seasoning SaltCuminSrirachaSesame Seeds
Emulsifier (you need this to make it thick):
Dijon MustardDry English Mustard